Home maintenance tips to help prevent costly insurance claims.
Spring is almost here! The nights are getting lighter and the temperatures are rising. At this time of year, many homeowners have the urge to spring clean their properties to blow away the cobwebs from winter and get it ready for the warmer seasons ahead. It’s also a good time to take a few extra measures to prevent problems that could lead to an insurance claim.
Water Damage Protection
Water damage can be expensive – not to mention that water has the ability to destroy personal, irreplaceable items like family albums. To prevent water damage from occurring, take these steps:
- Move valuable items from the basement to a closet on an upper floor, such as a spare room closet.
- Look for small cracks in the tub and shower grouting. Small cracks let water seep into the walls where it sits and rots.
- Consider installing back water valves and plugs for drains and toilets to protect against a sewer back up.
- Clean out the gutters and downspouts as these pipes direct water away from your home and foundation.
Fire Hazard Prevention
After winter, it’s likely that dust and lint have built up in your home’s ductwork. Your dryer would have taken a heavy collection of lint in the vent, which can spark a fire if conditions are fire. Prevent home fires with these tips:
- Have your dryer vents cleaned out by a professional.
- Never leave the dryer running if you’re not home.
- Have your furnace inspected and cleaned.
- Check all smoke detectors to ensure they are in good, working order. Refresh the batteries if needed.
Discourage Home Theft
The last thing you want to do is invite a burglar into your home. Enjoy the fresh air and sunshine this season, but also be vigilant to keep intruders out.
- Try not to leave front doors and windows open or unlocked if everyone is outside in the backyard.
- If you purchase big-ticket items for the home, such as electronics, consider taking the boxes to the disposal site yourself.
- Install or check your home alarm system.
Spring indicates the arrival of carefree days ahead. Make sure your family and your home are protected from unpleasant events so that you make the most of the season. Homeowners need peace of mind that their property and possessions are protected. The insurance professionals at Hoffman Brown Company can help to do just that. Get in touch today.