Unfortunately, fraud has become a very present aspect of today’s society. Fraudulent activity can hit the most personal points in our lives, with insurance fraud, contractor fraud, credit card fraud, identity fraud, and anything else criminals can get their hands on. We want you to remain protected, especially in the midst of the holiday season, which is why we have gathered these important tips for protecting yourself against fraud:
- How often do you scan your bank account activity? The days of waiting for your monthly statement are in the past, as you can now log on to a smartphone application or through the bank’s website to check your most recent activity. Since criminal activity spikes during the holidays, it is recommended that you check every other day to make sure all charges are accurate.
- It is a good idea to review your credit report regularly, but especially after the holidays. This will allow you to fix any discrepancies immediately and detect charges and transactions that you did not authorize.
- How unique are your passwords? Having your maiden name and high school jersey number combination for every account is not going to deter criminals from accessing your sensitive information. Password creation must be extremely unique if you want to keep your information safe.
- You can eliminate risks of mail fraud by going paperless. Nearly every account you have can change their mailing system and send you information online and through email.
- Most importantly, do not carry documents with your sensitive information on you. Your Social Security card should be safely stored at home and not in your possession. Likewise, keep any extra credit cards that you do not regularly use at home.
Are you partaking in safe habits to protect yourself? Contact Hoffman Brown Company in Sherman Oaks for all of your California insurance needs. Your security is our main priority. Allow us to provide you with unmatched protection in every corner of your life.