The last thing you want to have happen is to lose a cherished piece of jewelry or have it stolen from you. This can be heartbreaking especially if the jewelry is a sentimental family heirloom. There are precautions you can take to prevent them from being lost, damaged or stolen. Here are some helpful hints to help you protect your possessions.
Keep Your Collection Safe
- Consider routine inspections of the jewelry you wear every day or very often. Regular use can lead to wear on the prongs and loss of stones and gems. If you notice a loose prong or stone take it to a jeweler immediately.
- Keep your home secure. Make sure your home has quality doors, windows, and locks. Consider a home security system that is monitored by an alarm company.
- Insure your jewelry. Check with your insurance agent about the limits on your homeowners policy and ask about a Personal Articles Policy.
- Store your jewelry in a secure location such as a safe in your home or a security deposit box at your bank.
- Take a regular inventory of your jewelry. Keep a list of your jewelry and take photos or video of each item in your collection. This information can be very useful in the unfortunate event of a loss.
- Remove jewelry and put in a secure place before entering the pool or spa, playing sports, performing manual tasks, exercising, or any kind of activity where the jewelry could be damaged.
- Check your watch clasps periodically to prevent accidental loss.
- Get an appraisal to establish or confirm the value of your pieces.
For all of your insurance coverage questions please contact your team at Hoffman Brown Company in Sherman Oaks, California. We are happy to be of service.