Follow these tips to help reduce the chances of dealing with mold at your home.
Mold in your home can lead to tons of serious issues, both structurally and medically. Moisture is the most common cause of mold in your house, the issues can be accelerated by lighting conditions and temperatures. To help keep your house free of any type of mold, keep these tips in mind.
- Regularly vacuum and clean all surfaces in your house to reduce the number of mold spores throughout your home.
- Throw away any materials or furniture that is moldy or damaged. Mattresses, carpets, and clothes that are stored in dark, damp areas can easily promote mold growth.
- The humidity in most homes should be kept between 40 and 45 percent. If your home has certain materials, such as hardwood floors, you may have to keep your house slightly more humid. Read the manufacturer’s instructions to find out exactly how humid you should keep your house.
- Always run exhaust fans when showering or cooking to remove any excess humidity from your house. Periodically test the suction of all fans by putting a tissue up to the cover while the fan is turned on. If the tissue sticks to the cover, the fan is working properly.
- Change out your furnace filters at least every 3 months or as often as stated in the owner’s manual.
- Dry any wet areas of your home as soon as possible, including the areas around sinks and tubs. Also, check exterior walls that may allow water to penetrate into your house.
- Make sure all ground water in the exterior of your house runs away from your foundation to prevent any issues.
Having the right homeowners insurance policy can help to ensure you have the coverage you need in case of any mold issues. For all of your Southern California home insurance needs, contact Hoffman Brown Company in Sherman Oaks.