Caring for your luxury watch.
A watch is worn every day, and can last for your entire lifetime and beyond, passing through future generations. Watches are often filled with personal stories and bought for sentimental reasons, so it’s wise to spare no expense when it comes to these timeless pieces. There’s good reason to look after your watch and keep it ticking for as long as possible.
- Avoid scratches by storing watches away from metallic objects and not wearing them alongside metal bracelets.
- Wash metal bands with a soft brush and warm, soapy water before rinsing and drying.
- Avoid wrist contact with products such as cosmetics, detergents, moisturizers, and perfumes.
- Store all original documentation for your watch safely.
- When servicing a luxury or vintage watch, request that the case and bracelet be kept as is and that no parts are replaced unless absolutely necessary.
- Store watches in a safe place.
- If you are not using a safe for storage, ensure all watches are in a well-hidden place.
- Store watches in their original boxes.
- Take watches off before showering or bathing.
- Maintain an updated list of your watch collection, preferably with photographs and serial numbers. Store a copy of this document offsite.
Away From Home
- Watches should be protected from travel by being kept in a watch box.
- Never leave watches in a checked bag.
- Beware of potential theft of carry-on bags in overhead compartments.
Hoffman Brown Company cares about keeping your valuable articles safe. If you would like to talk to us about insurance for fine arts, jewelry and antiques, please contact us.