Vacation may be an incredibly enjoyable time, but it leaves something in a very vulnerable state: your home.
More than half of the U.S. population will take a vacation away from home sometime this summer. According to an FBI statistic, many communities will experience a 10 to 18 percent increase in home burglaries during the months of July and August. Rushing out the door to start enjoying your vacation as soon as possible can cause you to overlook the security of your home. Here are a few necessary home security steps you should take to secure your home:
- Secure the sliding glass doors with deadbolts on the inside that can only be opened with a key.
- Lock the garage door. If the garage door lifts on a track, a C-clamp tightened on the chain track next to the roller can prevent the door from being opened with a universal remote.
- Make it seem like you are still at home, leave a few lights “on” and plugged into timers. Set the timers to go on and off at various times during the day and night.
- Make sure that all doors and windows are locked. Doors need to have deadbolt locks with a one-inch throw and a reinforced strike plate.
- Examine your house from the outside. Look in the windows – can you see valuable? If you can see them from the street, so can others.
For all of your homeowners insurance inquiries, please contact your team at Hoffman Brown Company in Sherman Oaks, California. We are happy to be of service!