If you don’t want to become the victim of car theft, be wary of parking in these commonly robbed locations.
Each year, the National Insurance Crime Bureau ranks the metro areas where car theft is statistically most common. In their Hot Spots report for 2014, California was the unfortunate winner, claiming seven on the top ten spots.
It should be noted, though, that population can skew the results. Because the National Insurance Crime Bureau compares numbers of theft against population, areas with a smaller population that have a moderate amount of theft could rank higher than more populated areas, where the higher population count can absorb a higher number of thefts.
That being said, here’s a look at the top ten most common locations for car theft.
- San Francisco/Oakland/Hayward, California: 29,093 thefts
- Bakersfield, California: 5,211 thefts
- Stockton/Lodi, California: 4,245 thefts
- Odessa, Texas: 886 thefts
- Modesto, California: 3,047 thefts
- Spokane/Spokane Valley, Washington: 3,032 theft
- Vallejo/Fairfield, California: 2,414 thefts
- Seattle/Tacoma/Bellevue, Washington: 20,268 thefts
- Fresno, California: 5,260 thefts
- San Jose/Sunnyvale/Santa Clara, California: 10,531 thefts
This list might have you a little concerned about the security of your car as your drive through California. We can help ease your mind with a great comprehensive coverage section in your auto insurance coverage, ensuring that if you do become the victim of theft you can quickly and easily replace your vehicle. To learn more about how your coverage can protect you against car theft, contact Hoffman Brown Company in Sherman Oaks. We’ve been serving California drivers since 1961 and can put our expertise to work for you and your car!