For many, turning the clocks back means the official end of summer. As we transition into the cooler months, it is imperative that you conduct some basic home maintenance measures so that your beautiful home can prevail throughout each season. Here are some important tasks to add to your home maintenance checklist:
- When was the last time you changed the batteries in your smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors? These two lifesaving devices need their batteries replaced at least twice a year, so why not make it a habit of changing the batteries when you change the clocks?
- If you have not yet reversed your ceiling fans for the cooler weather, now is the perfect time to do so. You will want the blades to be running clockwise so that your heating system does not have to work so hard to keep you warm.
- Regularly rotating or flipping your mattress is a great way to reduce wear. Right after daylight saving time ends, we suggest flipping or rotating your mattress, whichever you prefer, and vacuuming it for a fresh start to the new season.
- If you have not yet had an HVAC specialist come to your house, schedule an appointment to do so. All maintenance performed on your HVAC systems will ensure you are receiving warm air during the cooler months and cool air during the scorchers.
- Most importantly, make sure to clear your gutters and downspouts of debris. As all California residents wait for a heavy rain to pour and make our hills green again, it is important that we prepare our homes for the rainy season.
Contact Hoffman Brown Company in Sherman Oaks for all of your California homeowners’ insurance needs. We have been providing California residents with unparalleled security since 1961 and will go above and beyond to provide you with the peace of mind and protection you deserve.