One of the most dangerous disasters that can ruin your home is a fire. Since October is Fire Prevention Month, it is the perfect time to make sure that you and your family are prepared in case of an emergency. Keep these tips in mind to ensure that you know what to do if a fire ever breaks out in your home.
- Make sure every level of your home has a fire alarm, especially outside of each bedroom. Check the alarms regularly to ensure that they are working properly. Replace any alarms that do not work or are outdated.
- An easy way to remember to change the batteries in your fire alarm is to do it when you change your clock for daylight savings time (Spring & Fall).
- Place fire extinguishers throughout your home, especially in the kitchen to help fight small fires until you are able to get out of your home.
- Prepare an evacuation plan for your whole family. Make sure that there are at least two escape routes from each room in your home, and plan for the most vulnerable members of your family, including small children and pets. Practice the evacuation plan a few times a year to ensure everyone knows what to do. This will help to keep everyone calm in case of an emergency.
- If you are trying to get out of your home while it is filled with smoke, stay as low to the ground as possible. If you can, cover your nose and mouth with a piece of cloth or clothing on your way out.
- After you are out of your home, move away to a safe distance and call for help.
Most importantly, make sure that you have the right amount of homeowners insurance to provide coverage in case of a fire. Contact the insurance professionals at Hoffman Brown Company in Sherman Oaks, California for all of your homeowners’ insurance needs.