Get ready for Labor Day weekend with these fun facts and safety tips!
Can you believe it’s already Labor Day weekend? If you’re like us it feels like the summer just started, but we’re already upon the weekend most people view as the end of the season!
We want to help you make the most of this coming holiday weekend and the end of summer, so we’ve collected some fun facts and safety tips to help you impress and protect your friends.
Let’s get the more serious considerations out of the way first. To stay safe over Labor Day:
- Move your grill at least 10 feet away from buildings, trees, and other flammable materials. Read the manufacturer’s directions and follow them exactly, keeping children and pets away from the grill.
- If you’ll be by the pool, make sure swimmers are always supervised. Bring a first aid kit and fit younger swimmers with flotation devices.
- Traffic will pick up over the holiday weekend, so make sure you leave with plenty of time to spare. Once on the road, leave extra following space, wear your seatbelt, and obey traffic laws. That means designating a driver in advance!
Now, for the fun facts! Wow your friends and family with these little tidbits.
- The first Labor Day was celebrated in New York City in 1882. During its celebrations, families enjoyed picnics, speeches, and concerts.
- In 1887, Oregon became the first state to declare Labor Day a statewide legal holiday.
- We might complain about our 40-hour workweek, but in the 1800’s most Americans worked 12 hour shifts 7 days a week! The eight-hour workday wasn’t mandated until 1916.
Happy Labor Day weekend from the whole team at Hoffman Brown Company in Sherman Oaks! For all of your California insurance needs, contact us today.