These holiday safety tips can give you the peace of mind you deserve during the season.
With only a couple more days until the 2015 holiday season is over, you may be spending more time at home with your loved ones. As you put up the last of your decorations and cozy up around the fireplace, it is important that you take the time to ensure the safety of those you care about.
Keep these holiday safety tips in mind to help you make the most of the season.
While you are decorating:
- Keep your tree fresh as long as it is in your house. Add water to the base every day. The fresher you tree is, the less likely it is to catch fire.
- Keep your tree at least three feet away from any heat source, including your fireplace, candles, space heaters, or heat vents.
- Make sure all of your lights and decorations are in good condition. If any strands of lights have frayed or damaged wires, throw them away.
- Avoid plugging more than three strands of lights into the same extension cord. All cords should be kept along a wall to prevent tripping.
While enjoying your fireplace:
- Never leave children unattended in a room with a fireplace or any burning candles to prevent any injuries.
- Do not use leftover or old wrapping paper as kindling since it could cause the fire to grow very rapidly. Wrapping papers that have metallic materials can be toxic when burnt.
- Always close the safety screen while a fire is burning to help avoid any injuries while you are staying warm.
- Before you light a fire, remove all stockings that are hanging on the mantle.
When it comes to giving your home and family the protection they deserve this holiday season, contact Hoffman Brown Company in Sherman Oaks, California. Established in 1961, our professional agents will help you find the right insurance policies to meet your specific needs, all at the right price to fit your budget.