Prepare for a Safe Holiday This Season
Parties are the highlight of the holidays. It’s fun to get together with friends and family to celebrate the festive season. If you’re planning a gathering, you know there is much preparation to do – from food and drink to decorations and music. The last thing on your mind may be your homeowners insurance, but it’s worthwhile checking that you have enough coverage in place if anything were to go wrong.
Holiday Party Planning Checklist
When planning your party, this checklist can help you have fun and stay safe:
- Make sure the pathway to the house is clearly lit and free of tripping hazards
- Place your valuables safely out of sight so they can’t be damaged or broken, and close doors to bedrooms and private areas
- Serve plenty of food throughout the evening
- Focus on providing entertainment or an activity rather than alcohol
- Provide plenty of non-alcoholic beverages
- Encourage people to bring a designated driver or arrange an alternative mode of transportation home
- Never let anyone drive home drunk
- Place candles out of reach or consider using battery-operated tea lights
- Make sure your fire alarms work and have an extinguisher ready
- Consider hiring a professional bartender for the evening who has experience in handling intoxicated guests
Before the festivities begin, take a moment to review your homeowners insurance. Remember that if a guest leaves your party intoxicated, you could be held responsible for any damage they cause while drunk. Keep a close eye on your guests and don’t be afraid to take their keys if they are planning to get behind the wheel after they have been drinking. You could be the one that is responsible for all the fees if an accident were to occur, after all.
Take a moment to review your policy terms or call your insurer for further clarification. The team at Hoffman Brown Company are ready and waiting to help you find reliable and responsible insurance for your property. Contact us today to get started!