Prevent the possibility of catching the coronavirus with these tips.
The coronavirus is common in many different species of animals and can evolve an infect humans, according to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC). The most recent virus was first identified in Wuhan, Hubei Province, China. Many patients in the Wuhan outbreak were reportedly linked to a large seafood and meat market, suggesting animal-to-person spread. While California has recently declared a state of emergency since the first reported death of the virus, now is more important than ever to take precautions to protect your health.
The best strategy to reduce the risk of becoming infected during a pandemic is to avoid crowded settings and other situations that increase the risk of exposure to someone who may be infected. If you must be present in a crowded setting, try to keep the time spent there as short as possible. Additionally, basic hygiene practices should be implemented in every workplace, including the following:
- Encourage sick employees to stay at home.
- Encourage employees to wash their hands frequently with soap and water or with gel hand sanitizer if there is no soap and water available. Encourage employees to avoid touching their noses, mouths, and eyes.
- Ask employees to cover their coughs and sneezes with a tissue. Everyone should wash their hands after they cough, sneeze, or blow their noses.
- Avoid shaking hands. If you do so, wash your hands immediately following.
- Provide customers and the public with tissues and trash bins.
- Frequently wipe down work surfaces, telephones, computer equipment, elevator buttons, and door handles with a disinfectant.
- Discourage employees from using other employees’ phones, desks, offices or other work tools and equipment.
- Minimize situations where groups of people are crowded together, such as in a meeting. Consider holding a walking meeting outside, a Skype conference call or an email to communicate with each other.
- Promote a healthy lifestyle that incorporates good nutrition, exercise, and adequate sleep.
It can be daunting to hear about the coronavirus every day. However, basic hygiene and preventative measures can help to keep you and your loved ones safe. At Hoffman Brown Company, we are always on the lookout to keep you safe. Need help securing insurance during this stressful time? We can help. Get in touch today.