‘Tis the season of merriment and unsafe drivers on the road.
The holiday season calls for joy, family, fun, and festive parties. It’s a time when people gather for social events and drink. Unfortunately, that also means that there are more drunk drivers on the road during this time of year. As a result, the number of fatalities skyrockets in December, leaving families broken and with high costs to pay. In 2013 alone, 28.7 million people admitted to driving under the influence of alcohol, which is more than the population of Texas. Furthermore, 27 people die a day in the United States, because of drunk drivers. To prevent drinking and driving risks this holiday season, check out these tips below.
- Always be responsible.
- Choose a designated driver before heading out to the party. Make sure that the person doesn’t have any alcoholic beverages.
- If you don’t have a ride home or if your designated driver drinks, call a taxi. You can also get on a train, bus, or rideshare with another party-goer.
- Only time will ease the effects of being drunk. Do not try to ‘sober up’ before the end of the party to drive home.
When hosting a holiday party:
- Offer non-alcoholic beverages for those who do not want to drink or are driving.
- Serve plenty of defense food as a full stomach can slow the rate of alcohol absorption.
- Stop serving alcohol a couple of hours before the party ends to give your guests a couple of hours to sip on water.
- If one of your guests is drunk but insisting on driving home, don’t be afraid to take their car keys. Arrange alternative transportation immediately.
- Never serve minors.
Keeping a few safety tips in mind helps you to avoid a dangerous situation. To safeguard your family, friends, and finances this season, contact the professionals at Hoffman Brown Company in Sherman Oaks, California to review your insurance policies. They are happy to help you.