Tips to avoid wildfire damage this season.
Strong Santa Ana winds, low humidity and lack of rainfall will bring extreme wildfire risk to the coastal counties of Southern California this season. As Santa Ana winds become more common during this time of year, which can lead to fires spreading more rapidly, Hoffman Brown wants to remind you that we are here to help.
If evacuation becomes necessary, don’t wait until the last minute to make the decision to leave; take your family and pets to a safe place as quickly as possible. Be sure to leave your gates unlocked so emergency responders can access your home and leave lights on to make your home more visible through smoke-filled air.
As time and resources allow, we urge you to take the following precautions:
- Bring patio furniture and other belongings inside. Clear away low-hanging branches and loose brush. Don’t leave potential ignition sources near your home.
- Close all entrances to your home, including windows, doors and garage doors. Be sure to also close your fireplace flue and seal vents. Closing shutters, heavy drapes, blinds or other window coverings can also help prevent sparks from blowing inside your home.
- Turn off your air conditioning system to prevent it from pulling smoke-filled air into your home.
- Gather supplies such as a flashlight and first aid materials. Fill buckets and other bulk containers with water. Have a shovel, rake and long water hose accessible for firefighting crews.
- Turn off the residential fuel. If you use natural gas or butane, turn it off at the tank or meter.
- Move as many vehicles as possible into the garage and close the door.
The team at Hoffman Brown Company hope that you and your family stay safe throughout the fire warnings. For peace of mind your property and belongings are protected, contact us to learn about our home insurance policies.