Now that the fall weather is here, it’s the perfect time to break out your extra blankets and favorite sweaters to help you stay warm in the dropping temperatures. It’s also time to get your home ready for the cold! Keep these home maintenance tips in mind to ensure your home is ready for the fall and winter temperatures.
- Check your roof. Even if you can’t get onto your roof, take some time to look at it from the ground. Look for any missing or cracked shingles that need to be fixed to prevent further damage to your roof by the cold weather.
- Clean out your rain gutters. Chances are, your rain gutters are full of fallen leaves and other debris. Make sure to clean them out since clogged drains can easily cause water to back up and damage the walls or roof of your home.
- Seal it up. Check the weather stripping around all of your windows and doors. Replace any missing or damaged weather stripping to help ensure that the cold weather doesn’t creep into your home.
- Tune up your furnace. Hire a professional to take a look at your furnace and do any regularly scheduled maintenance so it keeps you warm all season long.
- Clean out the chimney. If you have a wood-burning fireplace, make sure to clean it out. Built up soot and other residue can easily cause a fire and cause dangerous carbon monoxide to push back into your home.
The new season is also the perfect time to look over your homeowner’s insurance policy to make sure you have the right amount of coverage. Contact Hoffman Brown Company in Sherman Oaks, California for all of your homeowner insurance needs.