When checking in, don’t forget to check out your safety.
Are you traveling during the holiday season? If so, you’ll want to ensure that your trip away from home is safe. From tuning up the car for the long drive to checking into a safe hotel, it’s important to be prepared and attentive. After all, nothing ruins a holiday quicker than being a victim of theft or assault. Here are a few safety tips to think about while staying in hotels:
Hotels may carry a low liability limit for lost or stolen items, if they even protect your items at all. Because of this, it’s important to consider insurance if you are traveling with high valued items or if you travel a lot. Be sure to talk to your insurance agent and ask if these items are covered by your insurance policy while you are away from home.
When you’re at the hotel, protect yourself and your belongings:
- Don’t flaunt cash or expensive jewelry
- Use the in-room safe & create your own password
- Do not store valuables in your car
- Place the ‘do not disturb’ sign on the door & leave it there
- Keep your credit cards and personal identification with you
- Always lock doors and windows
- Keep your room key with you at all times. If you lose this key, ask for a new code or room.
- Only use the main entrance to the hotel
- When you are in the room keep the deadbolt and door guard secured at all times.
Hotel assaults frequently occur when guests open their door to an unknown person. Before opening the door, look through the peephole to see if you recognize the person or if they are a member of the hotel staff. If you are not expecting a visit from the hotel staff or a guest call the front desk and ask why they are at the door, or ask that they send security to your room.
Be aware of your surroundings when walking through hallways and in elevators. If you are in the hotel alone, do not share this information with others. If female and traveling alone check-in using your first initial and last name rather than your full name.
The safety and well-being of you and your family is important to us. Call your team at Hoffman Brown Company in Sherman Oaks, California to discuss this topic and your insurance policy.